Last week, I spent the day at a winery, got drunk on the best wine I’ve ever had— (and I’ve Christmas’ed at the fucking Ritz. No joke.) …went to an after (read: pajama) party with hilarious new people, convinced my lady to go to ikea!!! Made it all fit and could still (barely) shift! Had a Bloody Mary brunch in the sun. (“First assholes there.”) Life feels amazing…so then why and the hell am I always waiting for the other shoe to drop?
Well, November is a time to give thanks, so I’m gonna start a mind dump. You’re always a loser if you never celebrate the victories:
- Mariela always believes in me. It doesn’t matter what it is—she’s there to cheer for me. “She makes me think I can do things that I can’t—yet.”
- I’m thankful for the life we’ve built together and for the adventures that always bring us closer, finding our way back, trackin ghosts through the fog…there are no words for our bond.
- The stories! Our stories are our children. “We’re married to music.” It saves my soul. “In my darkest hour…”
- She sees me in a way that no one else does. She’s blind to gender, but loves whatever I am…
- I’m thankful for the way her hair and cleavage catch the light just right…creeper, yes. But I’m a photographer, c’mon that’s obvious!
- I really appreciate that she just lets me decorate the shit out of everything…even though it drives her crazy to go to ikea. —She does! Once in a while…
- I’m so lucky that I found The Abbotts. My life has been a remarkable whirlwind since. They’ll never know the real opportunities they’ve afforded me on this journey of trying to grow up. I love seeing them. In all shapes and configurations. Our visit to Chicago included one of the best brunches with the Abbotts. We laughed (mostly at Mariela) until we were sick. They appreciate her almost as much as I do…❤️
- My friends. Both old and new. Where would I be without you? You’re the real fighters. The true allegiance. You’ve been able to stick through it with me, at my worst—only because you make me my best. I feel like I’ve been on a tour of friends lately and it was such a great ride. Thanks for all the laughs and phenomenal stories and fun (and drinks).
- I’m so grateful to California…accepting us with open arms at a time when we really needed it. That includes some short, but very meaningful, relationships. I’ll carry the lessons you taught me. I’ll pay forward all the greatness you brought to my life. They were noticed.
- I’m grateful to have a meaningful job that challenges me to keep leaping for the stars. I love startup culture because it challenges me to my very foundation. It’s so exciting for someone like me.
- My past and the women that made me strong. You saved my life with your examples of strength and courage.
- The worthless men that showed me how things should be different…and to the few good men that proved it.
- My beautiful amazing dream car…every day when I walk up to that car, I’m thankful. (Even more thankful when the turbocharger kicks in and it whines like a beast!)
- And especially for all the interesting people out here that want to do things differently and that want to see how others are doing it even more differently. I’m so lucky to be here at all…
And that’s why,
I try myself into the ground.
Cuz I don’t want to ever let any of you down.
I know I do,
but we get through…
Thanks for staying on this crazy road.
Mariela still “brings me to my knees.” I’m so thankful that she just walked right into my life and refuses to leave. A true rarity in a world of fleeting connections.
Her and Adele just be sayin: